Site: Former Roofing Products Manufacturer, Queens, New York
VeruTEK Technologies successfully destroyed coal tar contamination at a former roofing products manufacturing site in New York City using Surfactant-enhanced In Situ Chemical Oxidation (S-ISCO). The urban site, surrounded by dense residential and commercial development along the shores of the East River, was contaminated with coal tar repurposed from a nearby Manufactured Gas Plant (MGP) for the roofing manufacturing process.
Contaminants of Concern
VOCs (BTEX) & SVOCs (PAHs and naphthalene) related to MGP coal tar in soil & groundwater
- Reduce contaminant mass from 10-22 ft bgs to enable issuance of Certificate of Completion (COC);
- Reduce groundwater contaminant flux.
- VeruTEK’s Surfactant-enhanced In Situ Chemical Oxidation (S-ISCO®) with VeruSOL® and alkaline-activated sodium persulfate;
- Wavefront’s Primawave pressure-pulsing injection enhancement process;
- RemMetrik characterization process.